I’ve gone in different directions over the years, but my progression has always made sense to me; and for the last 30 years I have followed a path of science (zoology, animal behaviour, ecology, evolutionary biology), technology (information and communications technology, security and consultancy) and a combination of all of the above in education.
It’s been fascinating and great fun… and—for the most part—I’ve been paid for it!
Dates: July 2010 to September 2012
Town/Province/State: Perth, Ontario
Type of Company: Information and communications technology consultancy.
Target Market: Corporates to small business in the Ottawa to Brockville area of Ontario, Canada.
Company Locations: Perth and Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada.
Network Consultation, Design, Implementation and Support Services
- Network maintenance and 24/7 support services, guaranteed same day, two hours response.
- Network, server and workstation optimisation
- Support for municipalities and civil agencies (e.g. police, fire, utility services)
- Infrastructure review and recommendations
- Business continuity planning
- Networking and Security
- Local and wide area network (LAN and WAN) planning and implementation
- Project management
- Upgrades to infrastructure
- Fibre-optic and wireless network installation
- PKI digital certificate systems
- Two-factor authentication surveillance
- Municipal court recording systems
- Networked and standalone backup solutions
- Remote Access Solutions
- Secure solutions for remote connectivity to satellite offices
- Work at home solutions
Post: Lecturer in information technology
Department: Business, Leisure and Information Technology
Dates: July 2007 to June 2009
Town/Province/State: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1LT. United Kingdom.
Type of Company: College of Further Education.
Target Market: Mixed ability students aged 16+; mature students pursuing professional certification; undergraduates.
Company Locations: Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom.
- Responsible for preparing Schemes of Work (SoW), Programmes of Study (PoS) and subject material for classes in line with examination board syllabi, corporate (vendor-specific) certification programmes (e.g., Certified Cisco Network Associate programme and IBM System I), and according to student learning styles.
- Planning and monitoring students’ progress using a variety of teaching and learning strategies, using this information to report to parents and colleagues on student progress.
- Supervising and mentoring junior (trainee) teaching staff, including lesson observations and feedback.
- Supervising non-academic, technical support personnel.
The Rickstones School and College
Post: Head of academic department
Department: Information Technology
Dates: June 2004 to July 2007
Town/Province/State: Conrad Road, Witham, Essex CM8 2SD, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Highschool and Sixth Form (16 to 19 year-olds) college.
Target Market: Mixed ability pupils from local area.
Products / Services: Delivering a proscribed “National Curriculum” to 11 to 19 year old pupils. Information and Communication Technology department provides ICT teaching, staff training and other resources to curriculum and operational areas of the school.
Annual Revenue: Departmental = $15,000 to $20,000
Company Locations: Local
Total No. Staff: 100 to 120
Staff Managed: 8-10
Promotions: Began as a teacher of ICT, business studies and biological sciences, promoted to course leader responsible for delivery of advanced level ICT, promoted again (within four months of start of employment), to Head of ICT Department for whole school (11 to 19 years old).
- Managing an academic department, dedicated to furthering student education and achieving the potential of every individual.
- Managing the provision of ICT resources and teaching to provide all aspects of the tuition of the National Curriculum for ICT in the UK, to >900 students (11 to 18 yrs old) and staff.
- Control of a departmental budget ($15,000 to $20,000) for provision of infrastructure, teaching resources and administration.
Strategic development of infrastructure and software solutions (including purchasing strategy), for curriculum and operational systems.
- Responsible for supervising teaching and support staff, including monitoring continual professional development in the field of ICT.
- Monitoring and maintaining service delivery to all curriculum and operational areas.
- Teaching a minimum of 22 hours of Information and Communications Technology, biological sciences and business studies (as outlined by the National Curriculum for England and Wales), per week to varying groups of 25 to 30 students of mixed ability and ages ranging from 11 to 18 years old.
- Managing and delivering extra-curricular ICT activities to a minimum of 3 hours per week.
- Providing pastoral support to all pupils as required.
Department: Information Technology Unit (ITU Operations)
Dates: January 1998 to September 2003
Town/Province/State: Elizabeth House, 341-345 High Road Wembley, HA9 8AD. United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Local (district) government department.
Target Market: District government (internal) departments, including corporate services, environment, social services, housing, political offices audit and investigations and education.
Products / Services: Information and Communication Technology support (helpdesk and site visiting), consultancy, project management and staff training.
Annual Revenue: Approximately $5Million dollars.
Company Locations: NW London, England, United Kingdom
Total No. Staff: Approximately 1800
Staff Managed: Up to 20; variable according to workload.
Promotions: Third Line Support Consultant – from – Resource Manager (Second Line Support) – from – Special projects Team Leader (Year 2000 Roll-Out) – from – Technical Support Officer
Third Line Support Consultant.
- Management of corporate projects to time and budget (ranging from £15,000 to £80,000.00) and negotiated Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Management/administration of Corporate remote access solutions.
- Management of Information Technology Unit technical documentation.
- Providing third line technical support and fault resolution for all issues escalated from 1st/2nd line Support Engineers for all Corporate departments.
- Part of the team responsible for migration from Windows NT4.0 based client/server networking to Windows 2000/2003 Active Directory structure.
Resource Manager (Second Line Support).
- Responsible for the management of second line technical support provision for Social Services, Housing, Environment and Corporate Services divisions (to SLA).
- Managing a team of between 12 and 20 support engineers at varying career grades (including facilitating career development to appropriate levels of professional certification and on-going performance appraisals to Corporate Standards).
Special Projects Team Leader.
- Leader of a team of twelve engineers removing NetWare 3.x client/server LANs, replacing with >60 Windows NT 4.0 servers and >1200 Windows 95 client PC’s from November 1998 to November 1999 as part of the LBB Year 2000 upgrade/roll-out.
- Directly responsible for technical as well as personnel management (e.g., application and data migration/rationalization, network security/administration, personnel/resource allocation).
- Created in-house Windows 95/Microsoft Office 97 and Lotus cc:Mail training courses for beginner, intermediate and advanced users.
Supervised creation and implementation of new I.T. Unit technical procedures.
Technical Support Officer.
- Part of a team providing second-line support for >1800 IBM-PC users over >20 sites throughout the borough.
Post: Technical Support Administrator
Department: Support services
Dates: 09/1997 to 01/1998 (short-term contract)
Town/Province/State: Heathrow Airport, London, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Airport building services contractor.
Target Market: Large-scale corporate bodies requiring building services and maintenance contractors (e.g. United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority).
Products / Services: Technical services to all airport departments/buildings, including information technology, electrical, heating and ventilation, plumbing and gas works.
Annual Revenue: $8 to $10 Million
Company Locations: Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted Airports, South East England, United Kingdom.
Total No. Staff: Approximately 900
Staff Managed: Approximately 30
- First point of contact (telephone helpdesk) for Airport staff contacting technical support department.
- Responsible for assigning technical support engineers to reported faults and projects, according to Service Level Agreements for mission-critical departments such as Flight Data Recording/Maintenance.
- Junior supervisory position in a team of >30 personnel responsible technical support in fast-moving, high pressure, security and health & safety conscious environment of one of the world’s largest international airports (Heathrow, London).
Fiction Clothing United Kingdom Ltd.
No longer trading
Department: Information Technology
Dates: May 1997 – August 1997 (short term contract)
Town/Province/State: Park Royal, Acton, London, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Women’s knitwear designers, manufacturers and wholesalers
Target Market: Women’s clothing retailers Design, manufacture and sales through agents and retailers.
Annual Revenue: $1.6 to $1.8 million
Company Locations: UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.
Total No. Staff: Approximately 50
Staff Managed: 8-10
- Designed and created company web page to limited budget (http://members.aol.com/FictionUK—no longer operational).
- Planned and implemented Local Area Network for company head office.
- Planned and implemented company’s Intra- and Internet utilization.
- Created databases from SCO Unix source data for final use in Windows GUI environment.
- Systems Administrator for on-line banking systems for head office.
- Planned and implemented security and emergency recovery strategies.
The Association for the Study of Animal Behavior and
the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare.
Post: Research Assistant
Department: Based at King’s College London, School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences.
Dates: July 1995 to December 1995
Town/Province/State: Kensington, London, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Animal welfare charities and University of London.
Target Market: Academic Research
Products / Services: Research published in scientific journals for peer review.
Annual Revenue: Approximate $2000 research budget
Company Locations: London and Loughborough, United Kingdom.
Research project (following Higher Education), funded by the Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour and the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare, supervised by Dr. G. D. sales, based at King’s College London, London University.
Planned and conducted independent behavioral research, liaising with supervisory personnel at King’s College and U.F.A.W. This required effective management of a small research budget and culminated in the presentation of final results to funding bodies (including a report for publication and peer review).
Dates: September 1992 – July 1995 and December 1995 – Jan’ 1998.
Town/Province/State: London, United Kingdom
Type of Company: Self-employed short-term information technology consultant
Target Market: Small businesses, home offices and home PC users requiring support, consultancy and/or training.
Products / Services: Site-visiting PC and networking support, training and consultancy.
Annual Revenue: $70,000 to $80,000
Company Locations: United Kingdom and Europe
- Network planning, design, implementation and maintenance for small businesses and home users.
- Network security planning and implementation.
- Provided visiting IBM-based PC technical support (fault-finding and repair).
- On-site training and software/hardware purchasing and implementation consultancy.
- Advised on and performed hardware and software upgrades and installations of standalone PCs and on-site (10Base2 and 10BaseT) LANs.
- Provided data recovery services after critical error / disaster, and provided consultancy on disaster recovery / business contiuity strategies.
Post: Computer Operator
Dates: February 1992 to August 1992.
Town/Province/State: Acton, London, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Personnel recruitment agency.
Target Market: Local businesses requiring temporary personnel for short-term vacancies.
Products / Services: Personnel placement for office, technical and general labor.
Company Locations: Acton, London, United Kingdom.
- Temporary IBM PC operator for various companies requiring data entry, word processing, desktop publishing and spreadsheet operation.
Windsor Safari Park Ltd.
No longer trading
Post: Safari Park Ranger
Department: Lion, Tiger, Cheetah, Bear, Wolf and Baboon Reserves.
Dates: February 1986 to January 1992
Town/Province/State: Windsor, Berkshire, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Safari Park – zoological collection / leisure attraction.
Target Market: Families on leisure and tourism breaks for one day or longer, educational parties, corporate parties, other leisure groups, research and conservation organizations.
Products / Services: Drive-through wild animal reserves, theme park attractions and corporate / leisure venue.
Annual Revenue: $4 to $6 million (variable/seasonal)
Company Locations: Windsor, Berkshire, United Kingdom.
Total No. of Staff: Approximately 200 during summer season, approximately 50 off-season.
Safari Park Ranger / Warden
- Part of a team responsible for drive-through animal reserves, specifically Indian tiger (Panthera tigris), African lion (Panthera leo), Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus), Canadian timber wolves (Canis lupus ssp.), European brown bear (Ursus arctos arctos), American black bear (Ursus americanus), Asiatic black bear (Selenarctos thibetanus) and a large troop (>70) of Hamadryas baboons (Papio hamadryas).
- Developing systems of environmental enrichment for all species and improving animal husbandry.
- Responsible for staff and public safety in drive-through reserves containing Class 1 Dangerous Wild Animals (as defined by the United Kingdom Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976).
- Licensed firearms holder.
- Trained in-house with .458 and .308 rifles; .44 magnum pistol and chemical immobilization equipment.
- Created / maintained reserve diaries and developed full behavioral and veterinary database. Responsible for training of new staff.
Whilst employed as a ranger / warden at Windsor Safari Park, I participated on a number of internally funded animal behaviour research projects, working closely with visiting academic staff and students from UK universities and the Zoological Society of London.
- Behavioural observations of captive African lions (Panthera leo). (February, 1987-May, 1990).
- Behavioural observations of captive Siberian tigers (Panthera tigris altaica). (July, 1986-May, 1990).
- Diel activity patterns of captive European brown bears (Ursus arctos arctos). (August, 1986-February, 1990).
- Diel activity patterns of captive Asiatic black bears (Selenarctos thibetanus). (January, 1987-January, 1990).
- Behavioural observations of captive Canadian grey wolves (Canis lupus ssp.). (June, 1986-May, 1989).
Sureguard Security Services Ltd.
No longer trading
Dates: October 1985 – January 1986.
Town/Province/State: Harlow, Essex, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Security consultancy, specializing in plain clothes and uniformed, retail and crowd security.
Target Market: Large scale retail outlets and public event co-ordinators.
Products / Services: Full security solutions for all business premises, retail outlets and public events, such as political rallies, concerts and sports meetings. VIP personal security.
Annual Revenue: $1.2 to $1.5 million.
Company Locations: Essex, Kent and London.
Total No. Staff: 100 to 120.
- Part of a retail and personal security team, monitoring all aspects of store and mall security, including theft and terror alerts.
- Part of a personal security detail, accompanying VIP’s according to client requirements.
Dates: June 1985 – October 1985.
Town/Province/State: Symphony Furniture, Division of Cadmangate Ltd., Gelderd Lane, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS12 6AL United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Kitchen Furniture Manufacturers.
Target Market: Home buyers, retail outlets, property developers, existing property chains (e.g. hotels and other accommodation).
Products / Services: Bespoke kitchen and bedroom furniture design and manufacture.
Company Locations: London, Manchester, Leeds, United Kingdom.
Total No. Staff: >600
Staff Managed: 5 to 6
- Responsible for branch sales in competitive kitchen furniture market.
- Supervised purchasing and stock control according to corporate guidelines.
- Managed sales staff providing planning, design and sales to private (home) buyers.
Dates: June 1883 – June 1985
Town/Province/State: North Acton, London, United Kingdom.
Type of Company: Wholesalers (general goods)
Target Market: Local businesses
Products / Services: Supplying food and non-food goods to the general public.
Annual Revenue: Approx’ $2 billion CAD (UK alone—1985).
Company Locations: 416 throughout United Kingdom and Europe; 33 branches in the UK. Global operation in 24 countries throughout Europe and including China, India and Vietnam amongst other non-EU members.
Total No. Staff: >7000 in United Kingdom alone
Staff Managed: 12
Promotions: Senior Store Assistant grade, promoted to Supervisor—Security Department.
- Junior supervisory role in department store security team.
- Responsible for prevention of theft, monitoring and management of emergency situations (e.g., IRA terror alerts).
- Attended internal managerial training courses (e.g. emergency situation response, security and anti-theft procedures, policy and law, debt recovery, budget management, personnel management).