Professional Zoologist Specializing in Behavioural Ecology
Scientific Fellow of the Zoological Society of London since 1992.
Founded in 1826, the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) is an international scientific, conservation and educational charity whose mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats.
Our mission is realised through our groundbreaking science, our active conservation projects in more than 50 countries and our two Zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.
© 2013-2014, The Zoological Society of London
The Society of Biology
Graduate member since 1995.
The Society of Biology is a single unified voice for biology: advising Government and influencing policy; advancing education and professional development; supporting our members, and engaging and encouraging public interest in the life sciences. The Society represents a diverse membership of individuals, learned societies and other organizations.
© 2013-2014, The Society of Biology
Formerly the Institute of Biology (IoB).
Birkbeck College, University of London—Field Biology
- Two years (1989–-1991) training in the identification and classification of plant species and experimentation on their growth and behavior.
- Tracking land animals using sounds, paw prints, fecal matter and scent marking.
- Conducting censuses of endangered animal species and observing their behavior patterns and interactions.
- Trapping and tranquilizing wild animals like red deer (Cervus elaphus), foxes (Vulpes vulpes) and European badgers (Meles meles) to record their sex, physical measurements, paw size and age. Sedated animals were tagged with GPS collars or VHF radio transmitters to track their movements.
- Creation of species maps, using radio telemetry equipment, remote cameras, database software and modeling programs to track animal movement.
- Maintenance of extensive, scientific field reports of observations.
- Taking photographs and collection of samples of plants, insects and animals. Collection of blood, feces and other organic substances to perform laboratory analysis and genetic testing.